Tuesday, May 6, 2008

How to Fix Color Profile - "proof colors" - Conflict In Photoshop

For quite some time now I have had a color profile conflict in Photoshop CS3. It finally bothered me so bad that I had to find a solution to the problem once and for all. Otherwise, I was going to un-install and re-install to try and fix this issue. Why was this color issue such a pain in the arse you might ask? Well, every time I took a screen shot or opened a file the color of the newly opened document in Photoshop CS3 the colors would look faded and washed out horribly and gradients were banded looking really nasty and did not yield anything that was usable. So what I eventually discovered was that if I chose the View > Proof Colors menu option it would automagically correct the color for the life of the current document that was open. Then I'd have to redo the process again and again for each open document. Great, I thought as I sat frustrated. Why in the world would this all of a sudden be doing this? I never had to do this before in any version of Photoshop. Something changed and I just needed to find out what. At first I thought it was a simple RGB/CMYK issue upon document opening and all I had to do was fix the problem in the workspace. Nope, it didn't work. Second I tried working with the color profiles right within Photoshop directly. Nope that wasn't it either. And so on and so on. Well, to get to the solution to this color profile conflict in Photoshop I did some reading on the webs of the world and found a way to fix my troubles. It happens that this comment by Bingo_Jackson on the ZBrush Central forum had the answer: Overall problem colors Photoshop CS and WinXP  >> 

Here is what the issue was:

Quote - Bingo_Jackson "Make sure the color management profile of your monitor (found in the advanced display properties of the monitor) is the same as the color management profile of the RGB working space in Photoshop color settings (Adobe RGB 1998 is often used). If the same profile doesn't show up in the list of available profiles, click "add", and it should open up a selection of available ones, from which presumably you could find a match.

If you're ever having display discrepancies from one program into Photoshop, click on the "proof colors" command in the "View" drop down menu, with the "proof setup" set to "monitor RGB". If this makes the color discrepancies go away, you have a color management conflict." - End Quote

AH HA!

The issue it turns out was that I had installed the Huey Pro Color correction software by Pantone. I had since uninstalled the color correction software and the uninstallation had left my Windows Color Management profile in a setting that no longer existed. I show the missing profile represented in the screen shot above just so you can see what I saw. I removed the bogus non-existent Huey Pro color profile reference in the Color Management view of my advanced monitor settings and set the default back to AdobeRGB1998. Now, I made sure that Adobe Photoshop itself was using the same AdobeRGB1998 color profile as the one I set as default for my monitor and HOORAA we got a fixed color profile finally.

It took me a hot minute to fix this issue but since I finally did get it resolved I thought I'd share it with all yawl in case you ever happen to run into this yourself. My recommendation is that if you ever do install some sort of color correction software, just be careful and make sure it gets removed or un-marked as default after you remove the software. In my case it jacked up my system's color profile setting and in turn Photoshop didn't match it. Thus causing the problem at hand.


15 comments:

Therése said...

Oh. My. God. Thank you! Seriously, I have had the exact same problem for over a year with both CS2 and CS3, and even though I searched the internet several times I could never find a way to solve this. Until now =D Again, thank you, this really helped!

Kyle said...

Oh man! I've been having problems with this forever! Thank you so much!

Jason said...

Thank you! My white looked like yellow and it was unbearable.

Greg said...

Thanks for the tip, saved me some headache.

Blaine said...

This problem has plagued me for the past 2 months. The only solution I found was to set the proof colors option every time I opened a file in Photoshop. Not anymore! Many thanks for posting this.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, I was just about to reinstall the whole Adobe Suite but I decided to Google first and found this! It worked!

Anonymous said...

I am confused..sorry everyone. Should I check Proof colors or no? I notice a change when I don't use it. What is the right way?

Thanks so much!

Sei said...

I have this problem in Photoshop extended CS4 64 bit and VISTA.

I have looked at controlpanel->Color mangement and my monitor has it's own ICC profile (LG W2600) assign to it... I have no other profiles assigned to it. In the advanced tab I have only "system standards" and the device profile is set to my monitors ICC profile.

ANY one that have any tip on how to correct this anoying problem in vista? Feel free to email me at seigan@hotmail.com

Thanks in advanced!
Sei

Anonymous said...

for the love of Peet! It took me days to solve this problem and FINALY! Thanks Dude!

Abir said...

dude i love you for posting this fix

Anonymous said...

So, this fixes my color discrepancy between my windows program and photoshop, but it doesn't tell me how the photo's will look when they print! Even if the colors look good you still need to calibrate your monitor so the colors are true and will print the way you see them on your screen!

Lane Slabaugh said...

OMG!! This post deserves a gold medal.

Can't thank you enough. Man was I frustrated until I found this post. Been working for literally HOURS to fix this issue.

Lane Slabaugh said...

My hero!

Man, I had literally been working to fix this issue for hours.

Gold star!

Konrad Dobson said...

I just came across this post through Google. Thanks so much. I've been having this trouble for about 3-4 years and couldn't make any sense out of it. Always used to switch to Proof Color too :) Thanks a million!

Anonymous said...

You sir, are a saint!